As usual, the Notting Hill Carnival parade provided onlookers with a host of colours and exotic styles, brightening up the streets of London. Sequins, gems and feathers afforded a feast for the eyes; however a few of the bystanders’ outfits were equally noticeable. We at MouthLondon searched the crowds for some of Carnival’s most stylish attendees, scouting out headgear, footwear and everything in between.
1. The retro look has been big all Season, and this girl gets it spot on with her psychedelic-print bomber jacket. The print is loud, but the colours used are far from garish, making the jacket a stand-out piece as opposed to plain obnoxious. The splash of gold detailing also receives a thumbs-up for fashion-forwardness: metallics are coming back in a big way during AW12.
2. There’s nothing special about seeing a young guy in a Hawaiian shirt this summer; however we were taken with this fella’s use of accessories to spice up what would otherwise have been a rather bland outfit. Hawaiian shirt + chinos = pretty standard look; Hawaiian shirt + chinos + gold chain + contrasting cap = effortless urban cool.
3. Here at MouthLondon we’ve been a big fan of all things spikey for some time now. This guy scores top marks for combining leather and spikes – two key trends this Season – without going overboard. The rolled-back sleeves give the ensemble a more casual, summery feel, and ensure that the wearer isn’t swamped by his statement piece. However, this look has longevity, and with a quick adjustment of the sleeves, it’s all good to go for AW12.
4. Leopard-print shoes can be spotted (no pun intended) all over the High Street right now, from Topshop to Russel & Bromley. These outrageous trainers prove that boys can rock leopard-print, too, and the Flintstones feel can be seen as a nod to AW12’s fixation with cartoon illustration.
5. This eye-catching backpack is simply adorable: we love the smiley penguin and the Pop Art colours. The bag does all the talking in this outfit, and you can expect to see this a lot next Season, with novelty rucksacks and bold, bright prints a-plenty.
6. It’s not just about your clothes! This lovely young man portrayed his Carnival spirit through his amazing tri-coloured afro, channelling the Rastafarian flag through a very snazzy hairdo. We like.
7. We save the best for last…