There’s something special about being welcomed home by a warm bowl of homemade soup after a long cold day. It reminds me of the comfort I get from a family meal or arriving home from University just in time for one of my mum’s meals.
Whilst always enjoying ourselves in our ‘Uni’ lives, once in a while, we do get a little tug on the home ‘string’ and lets be honest, we miss it.
So, this recipe can’t ensure that you’ll be greeted by a lovely smelling lady in her nightgown, but I can assure you within forty-five minutes, you’ll feel like you’re home and you’ll feel proud of yourself for cooking such a ‘gourmet’ meal.
- . 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- . 1 large onion (chopped)
- . 2 large fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- . 1 can of cherry tomatoes
- . 1 cup milk
- . 3 teaspoons sugar or sweetener
- . 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- . 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar)
- . 2 fresh basil leaves
- . salt and pepper to taste
- . olive oil
- . a food processor or electric whisk
- . 2 Pieces of bread (I used raisin)
- . 3 tablespoons of grated mozzarella cheese (or the cheese of your choice)
- . spreadable butter
- In a medium pot, start by sautéing the chopped garlic and onions in a tablespoon and a half of olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt to soften the onions.
- Once the onions are soft and slightly browned (but not burnt!) add the fresh tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are soft and easily mashable add the can of tomatoes.
- Add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the mixture cook for about twenty minutes.
- Pour the mixture from the pot into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the milk and blend again.
- Pour the soup back in to the pot, add the basil leaves and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your toastie machine or prepare a very hot flat pan.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on both sides of both slices of bread.
- Place the cheese on one slice and cover with the over.
- Grill in toastie machine or place in pan and place a heavy plate on top of the sandwich to flatten it, when one side is browned turn it over.
- Season soup with salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour soup into bowl of your choice and serve grilled cheese on the side.