So this is the situation… You have guests (Parents, friends or someone you want to woo) coming over for dinner. The problem is you’re a terrible cook! Dun dun duh! All you have in the fridge is lager from the night before and that darn chicken you’ve been planning to cook, but have no idea what do with? Well my friend, as the red necks of the USA do, grab that chicken, neck half a can of lager and begin the cooking adventure to the tastiest chicken you can make with no culinary skills!
…the lager will keep the chicken juicy whatever…
Now before you panic at the ingredients list just keep in mind that you can spice this chicken with anything. The steam from within the lager will keep the chicken juicy whatever, but in my experience if you deviate from the spice recipe below try to add something sticky to your spice paste like honey or maple syrup to crisp up the skin and keep the outside luscious.
- . 1.5kg organic chicken
- . 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- . 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- . 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- . 1 big teaspoon smoked paprika
- . 1 big teaspoon mild chilli powder
- . 2 big teaspoon brown sugar
- . A good grind of black pepper
- . A good pinch of salt
- . Half a can of good lager
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/180 fan.
- Mash the fennel seeds until they are properly crushed.
- Add the oil, cumin, smoked paprika, mild chilli powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper into a bowl and bring together to form a sticky paste.
- Drink half the can of lager and place it in the middle of a high ridged oven tray.
- Grab the chicken and lather it inside and out with the sticky spice paste.
- Insert the chicken onto the can. Be careful when placing the bird into the oven and be aware it may fall over during cooking, so check back from time to time.
- Cook for 70 -90 minutes. Cook until juices run clear.
- Cover with foil and leave to rest for 20 mins.