Inspired by a Japanese-flavoured recipe, I wanted to make something very simple and flavourful to go with vegetables and sausages. So, this vegetable roast is done in one go in a single pan in under half an hour, and it is deeply flavoured with caramelised shallots and a little soy sauce. Clearly, it’s an overall winner.
This can be a side dish to most, especially pork or duck, but I wouldn’t mind doubling this and having it as a main dish with crunchy green vegetables.
- . 250g potatoes, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces if large
- . 200g shallots, left whole or cut in half depending on size
- . 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- . 1-2 teaspoons dark Japanese soy sauce (shoyu)
- . 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- . Freshly ground black pepper, if liked
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Place the potatoes and shallots into a large roasting tray and drizzle over the oil, tossing to coat the vegetables.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes and shallots are cooked and golden – a skewer or thin knife should easily cut into the potato, and the shallot should be soft and perhaps a little crispy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and, while everything is still warm, sprinkle over the soy sauce and butter.
- Toss the vegetables and seasonings together to melt the butter and coat everything thoroughly.
- Serve right away, adding freshly ground black pepper if desired.