I grew up on this dish. Crispy-edged, soft-bellied, and seasoned with aromatics and a little savoury pork, it’s substantial and delicious. My parents would make it for me at breakfast, hot and golden against soft white rice. I still make it myself nowadays and think of home.
Making a perfect Thai omelette requires a little technique; I followed Leela’s careful instructions on this matter, tentatively at first, then with increasing joy and confidence. Home-cooked food is an emotional matter, you see. The main point is that you shouldn’t be afraid of the amount or the temperature of frying oil: you need this to get a nice, crisp, omelette.
This is good at any time of day, alone with rice or as part of a Thai meal, plain or with condiments and toppings.
- . 25g pork mince
- . 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- . 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- . ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- . 2 large eggs
- . 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- . A few drops of lemon/lime juice or vinegar
- . 1 tablespoon corn flour or rice flour
- . 175ml vegetable oil
- . Sriracha sauce and sliced chillies for serving, if liked
- In a medium bowl, mix together the pork mince, garlic, spring onion, and white pepper using a fork until just combined.
- Pour all the vegetable oil into a 9 inch heavy-bottomed frying pan.
- Set the pan over a high heat and let it get smoking hot.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into the bowl of pork mince.
- Add the fish sauce and the vinegar to the eggs.
- Beat the mixture very well until the eggs are bubbly and the mince is broken up into small bits.
- Mix in the corn flour, beating thoroughly until there are no lumps.
- When the oil begins to smoke, test the heat by flicking a bit of egg mixture into the pan. If the egg immediately bubbles up and turns gold, it’s ready.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan. It should puff up and start bubbling immediately.
- Spread the mixture out if it piles up.
- It should puff up and start bubbling immediately. Let it cook for about 40 seconds.
- Flip the omelette, boldly disregarding any flopping or tearing: anything which adds crispy edges will further improve deliciousness. Cook for another 40 seconds.
- Immediately remove the omelette to your waiting plate. Add your toppings, if any, and apply to face.